Crowdfunding disrupts record labels & the music industry

Vinyl Record Background by Petr Kratochvil

Vinyl Record Background by Petr Kratochvil

The largest providers of capital in the music business, the major record labels, have been devastated over the last decade by the disruption of their core competency: selling recorded music and investing profits into the development of new talent.  Global music sales have been contracting for over a decade, falling from $27.8b in 2000 to $16.5b in 2012. 1 It doesn’t take an economist to explain the effect: there is less cash available to fund artists. Furthermore, talent development is a high-risk business. Traditionally, nine out of ten artists who are signed do not generate a positive return-on-investment, though some labels report the fail-rate has improved to eight out of ten.2

With the advent of the 360-deal, the labels are implying that their role in the new music economy is that of an investment bank. Basically, labels provide financing in exchange for active and/or passive rights in all the revenue streams an artist generates. However, unlike a true investment bank, the operations of a major label include product development, distribution, and marketing services for their clients—activities that artists can increasingly perform themselves with competent management and a good strategic plan, due to the technological disintermediation of those label functions. The variable costs of financing talent plus the fixed costs of maintaining diverse, heavily-staffed operations, pitted against a 80% chance of capital loss and decreasing returns on the 20% of investments in the green, does not bode well. Especially given that, on average, spend per artist developed is $700,000 to $1.4 million.3

Given that their traditional model is ailing, labels might increase their profit margins by eliminating all operations except for financing talent—using a combination of analytics and golden-eared A&R to determine expected returns. Or, they could hold on to their current operations and defer a percentage of artist development risk to retail investors by taking advantage of the soon-to-be released crowdfunding provision in the JOBS Act. This second scenario would hopefully result in a higher volume of new artists being brought to market by a more efficient music company—focused on developing and selling talent. Let’s examine this possibility by investigating the JOBS Act and how its integration into the music industry might play out.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

HEADLINE NEWS

U.S. News & World ReportNo Cash for Hate, Say Mainstream Crowdfunding FirmsU.S. News & World ReportThe block on mainstream crowdfunding is just the latest blow to far-right activists operating online. In the last 24 hours, neo-Nazi website the Daily Stormer had its domain regi [...]

LITTLE GUIDANCE FROM IRS ON TAXING CROWDFUNDING CONTRIBUTIONSBloomberg BNAWe've all heard the stories of crowdfunding appeals that go viral. Whether it's a musician raising money to produce an album, an inventor with a great idea, or a family in distress that needs help, cro [...]

VCCircleNew trends in crowdfunding that make it a potent fund-raising toolVCCircleOver the years, crowdfunding has become popular among entrepreneurs mainly because it's a great way to test the waters before you actually launch the product or service. You understand your idea [...]

FortuneIndiegogo's Difficult Path to Offering Equity CrowdfundingFortuneIndiegogo founder Slava Rubin discusses how Indiegogo's equity crowdfunding service has been performing since its launch in 2016. Photograph by Indiegogo. E-mail; Tweet; Facebook; Linkedin. Share icons. [...]

Telegraph.co.ukSkiTelegraph.co.ukBut now, to supplement her fast food income and to be more certain of joining her older sister Katie, a fixture on the Park and Pipe team, Summerhayes has launched a crowdfunding campaign with PledgeSports to raise some money towards her travel and ... [...]

Crain's Cleveland Business'Smaller' gifts can go long way for Clinic's crowdfunding platformCrain's Cleveland BusinessFor an institution accustomed to securing multimillion-dollar donations, Cleveland Clinic's latest fundraising effort has some relatively [...]

NewshubWoman born without vagina crowdfunding surgeryNewshubThe family of a woman born without a vagina has started a crowdfunding campaign to receive reconstructive surgery. Kaylee Moats, from Arizona, lives with Mayer Rokitansky Küster Hauser syndrome (MRKH) meaning she has no cervi [...]

ForbesWhat Works In Equity Crowdfunding -- Insights From ResearchForbesAs we have recently celebrated the fourth anniversary of the signing of the JOBS Act into law, it is a good time to take stock of the effect that the legislature had on equity crowdfunding in the United States. It [...]

Global Crowdfunding Market 2017-2021PR Newswire (press release)Global Crowdfunding Market 2017-2021, has been prepared based on an in-depth market analysis with inputs from industry experts. The report covers the market landscape and its growth prospects over the coming years. The rep [...]

AOL UKShould you forget the stock market and focus on crowdfunding?AOL UKIn recent years, the popularity of crowdfunding has soared. For example, in 2016 the amount raised through crowdfunding surpassed venture capital funding for the first time in its history. By 2025, it is estimate [...]

CFB Finance

Marketwired

  • Crowdfunding
  • Crowdfund
  • Peer to Peer Lending
  • FinTech
  • Reg A+
  • Reg CF
  • Crowdfunding USA

Press Release

CrowdFund Beat Media

#bitcoin Wanted Speakers – THE RISE OF #BLOCKCHAIN DIGITAL MONEY 2017 FINTECH WORLD WORKSHOP SERIES 2020FINTECH.COM twitter.com/FintechBeat/st…

Live Crowdfunding .tv

What's Next Step in Regulation A+ JOBS ACTS Title IIII :L Interview : Steve Cinelli with Brian Korn Securities and Crowdfunding/Peer-to-Peer Lending Lawyer, Watch more video library | Conference | Interview | Campaign Showcase | Research | Education |